Recently during our Family Series at Amazing Grace Worship Center, we had a Panel night, at which time our church leaders addressed questions congregants had submitted.
Four questions dealt with the subject of soul ties: What is a soul tie, how do soul ties affect relationships, how can a soul tie be renounced and how can a soul tie be broken?
Many Christians have never heard of a soul tie, yet these ties can have powerful ramifications on a person’s soul.
What is a soul tie?
A soul tie occurs when you bond closely with another person.
Soul ties can occur in the following relationships:
- Friends: Did you have a best friend growing up? You likely had a soul tie with him or her.
- David & Jonathon are a perfect example: “ And it came to pass, when he had made an end of speaking unto Saul, that the soul of Jonathan was knit with the soul of David, and Jonathan loved him as his own soul.” 1 Samuel 18:1
- Groups: Do you ever feel that your church is like your family?
- “And the multitude of them that believed were of one heart and of one soul: neither said any [of them] that ought of the things which he possessed was his own: but they had all things common.” Acts 4:32
- Christians & Sinners: “Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? And what communion hath light with darkness.” 2 Corinthians 6:14
- Mothers & Children / Fathers & Children
- A Man & A Woman: “Don’t you realize that your bodies are actually parts of Christ? Should a man take his body, which is part of Christ, and join it to a prostitute? Never! And don’t you realize that if a man joins himself to a prostitute, he becomes one body with her? For the Scriptures say, “The two are united into one.” But the person who is joined to the Lord is one spirit with him.” 1 Corinthians 6:15-17
Having a physical, intimate encounter is not necessary for a soul tie to occur, but when two people are intimate with one another, it is certain a soul tie will occur
as reflected in the 1 Corinthians 6:15-17.
The reason for this is when two people are intimate with each other, they bond on a level that is also spiritual, not just emotional and physical.
For this reason a man shall leave his father and his mother, and shall be joined to his wife; and they shall become one flesh.” Genesis 2:24
As you can see, all soul ties are not harmful, such as ones between close Christian friends, parents and children and husbands and wives.
But, for this blog, let’s deal with the subject of harmful soul ties.
How does a soul tie affect a relationship
In an article for Charisma, Kris Vallotton of Bethel Church explains that when two people have bonded intimately, it is like gluing 2 pieces of wood together.
Like Genesis 2:24 explained, they become “one flesh.”
When this couple ends the relationship, it is like trying to tear these pieces of wood apart.
Common sense tells us pieces from each part of wood will remain on the other pieces due to the bond of the glue.
It is the same, spiritually speaking.
A man or woman creates a soul tie when becoming intimate with the other.
If this is done in a setting outside of a covenant marriage and the relationship ends,
each person walks away with a piece of the other person.
This creates a wound in the soul because of this soul tie that has been broken.
This wound can often cause a pull back to the person with whom another was intimate with.
Even though the relationship may have ended badly, a pull can still be present.
Have you ever known someone who kept going back to an abusive relationship?
Have you ever known someone who was divorced but couldn’t seem to move on with their life?
It is highly possible that an emotional wound from a soul tie is hindering that person from walking away and moving on with life.
How can a harmful soul tie be broken?
When we’ve given the enemy access to our souls, we need to close that door immediately.
If you feel you have an ungodly soul tie with someone, you need to close the door on that relationship and move on.
To do that, go to God in prayer and tell him that in the name of Jesus you are renouncing and breaking the ungodly soul tie you had with _______ by giving into relations outside of marriage.
Say, “I break every emotional soul tie with this person and I ask you to forgive me of all sins that I have committed as a result of this soul tie. In Jesus’ name, I command every evil spirit that may have entered into me through this ungodly soul tie to depart now,” and then confess, “I thank you, Lord, that by faith I am set free.”
Even if you married the person you had relations with outside of marriage, ask God’s forgiveness for forming this soul tie outside His covenant guidelines, and ask Him to come and bless your marriage.
If you need accountability and extra prayer, find a leader in your church who lives a victorious lifestyle and ask them to stand in prayer with you.
And know that it may take time, but God can and will heal those wounds in your soul.
There is a wonderful life to be lived because God has the best plans for you! Take time to read Jeremiah 29:11-13 today.